OPENTECH Mailing List
The OPENTECH Mailing List is a community-based mailing list for the discussion of more technical topics like scripting, servers and other tech topics.
To Subscribe to the OPENTECH mailing list, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following command in the body of your email message:
To unsubscribe yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to email@example.com with the following command in the body of your email message:
Or to unsubscribe from another account:
unsubscribe opentech your_old_email_address
Changing email addresses
To change email addresses, you need to unsubscribe and then subscribe from your new email address using either of the methods above. If you don't have access to your old email address, you use the form to unsubscribe from your old address.
To get the list information sent your email address, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following command in the body of your email message:
Note: All the information is on this page, though you may like to have a local copy in email form.
If you ever need to get in contact with the owner of the list, (if you have trouble unsubscribing, or have questions about the list itself) send an email to email@example.com and we'll get back in touch.
List Rules and Guidelines
To ensure the smooth operation of the mailing list, please observe the following rules:
- This is a community-based mailing list. It is a private list - access is by subscription only.
- This list is not moderated.
- Plain text only - HTML emails will usually get stripped into plain text though this may not be completely reliable.
- Attachments - inline attachments are disallowed though some items e.g. vcards, signatures/fingerprints may appear as attachments depending on your email software. If your company policy demands that attachments are made at the mail server, please consider using an alternative email address.
- Posters to OPENTECH should not post off-topic messages.
- Read-Receipts are disallowed.
- Signatures should be kept a reasonable length (5 or 6 lines usually should suffice).
- Out-of-Office messages are not permitted. These messages have a habit of failing to honour Precedence: bulk and misbehave accordingly requiring immediate removal.
- Harvesting of email addresses is expressly forbidden.
- Spam is expressly forbidden. Spammers will be reported to the relevant parties and permanently banned.
- Posts remain copyright of their owners. Posters are also responsible for any material posted, especially that previously copyrighted by others. Quoting in threads for discussion purposes is fine. The principles of Fair Use are applicable as appropriate. Material cited in Open is used by Irish academic institutions in conformance with this Fair Use policy. No material may be quoted by journalists for articles whether paid or otherwise without express permission from the authors.
- Impersonation, forgery, identity theft, other legally dubious or downright illegal practices or activities will be reported to the relevant authorities.
- This list is subject to the laws of the Republic of Ireland. International posters must observe any local laws which apply.
- All administration decisions are at the sole discretion of the list owners/administrators.
- Policy decisions are decided by the OPEN Working Group.
There are 4 other lists on OPEN:
- OPEN - General web discussion list
- OWG - the OPEN Working Group, for discussion of the OPEN system, policy and growth.
- OPEN-Announce - the OPEN Announce list, for broadcast of promotional items of interest though not for discussion on the list.
- OPEN-Spectrum - the OPEN Spectrum Group, for discussion of all things Wireless.
You can check out more information on the rules and guidelines of any of the lists...
OPEN, OPEN-Announce, OPEN-Spectrum and OWG